Monday, December 10, 2012

Week of Ten/ Twenty Two

For your blog post this week, read the three articles posted for homework and then comment on them. What did you learn? Do you have questions?


Sexy Web Design

  • The first paragraph references "Type Porn" and uses the 1st of 95 "sexy"s
  • "I’m talking about objects that are so well de­signed and downright stunning in both functionality and aesthetics that I stop and think,
    “Whoa—that’s sexy!”"
    I want people to think those exact words when they view anything I've created.
  • I dig the preface that explains the subsequent features of the book. That's what a good home page should be. It should be a preview of everything to come design + function wise. 
  • "I like making stuff look pretty." Yep, pretty much my sentiments.
  • "Like all goals, successful and engaging web design is as much about overcoming technical challenges as it is about creating an attractive product"
  • "The more attractive an item looks, the longer people will want to look at it"
  • Design Process:
    • RESEARCH
    • STRUCTURE
    • INTERACTION
    • AESTHETICS
    • DELIVERABLES

Whitespace
  • “Whitespace,” or “negative space” is the space between elements in a composition.
  • There's macro and micro!
  • DUDE: "Less whitespace = cheap; more whitespace = luxury"

Contrast and Meaning
  • "The function of contrast in defining meaning can be explained by comparing fundamental opposites: dark/light, soft/hard, fast/slow."
  • The primary forms of contrast are:
    • SIZE
    • POSITION
    • COLOR
    • TEXTURE
    • SHAPE
    • ORIENTATION

No comments:

Post a Comment